Doris Porter, 1950’s Farm Wife
This article is first in a series on women in agriculture, whether on a farm, at a desk, or both. It is in celebration of the Department of Agriculture, Markets, & Food Centenary year, 2013-2014
When Doris married Clifton Porter in 1946, the couple’s dream was to own their own farm. After renting Gile Farm, for about a year, the couple bought the farm, renamed it Cottage Hill Farm, and lived “in the hills behind Lebanon’s Riverside Restaurant where everything was uphill” for 35 years.